Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Tech Review: AirServer

AirServer 5.0 with Recording
www.airserver.com
From the website:
"AirServer is the most advanced AirPlay receiver for Mac and PC. It allows you to receive AirPlay feeds, similar to an Apple TV, so you can stream content or mirror your display from your iOS devices or Macs running Mountain Lion or Mavericks."

In an hour of desperation at a recent conference, I discovered AirServer as a way to present what is on my iPad mirroring it on my MacAir. It turned out that while I had figured on an HDMI input on the conference center projector to AirPlay to my AppleTV, this was not the case. I frantically searched for an alternative, and AirServer met with raving reviews.

There are three types of licenses: Education ($7.99-$11.99), Personal ($14.99), and Business ($19.99). I am a known cheapskate when it comes to software and apps. If its free, I'll try it.  If its not, I probably won't give it a long look because I know a) its a slippery slope when it comes to buying and downloading programs and b) there are so many free resources out there, what's the point in paying?

However, there aren't many free ways to mirror a mobile device (iPad, iPhone) to a laptop. So if I'm going to pay for one, it had better be good!

With AirServer, I got more than I paid for. For the last few months, I've been asking colleagues, asking on Twitter about ways to record the screen of an iPad so that I can create tutorials for my students and screencast to my laptop. Think Jing, but for iPad. And wow was I happy to find that with the latest version of AirServer, a recorder is built into the window on my laptop! I can narrate as I go too, in order to explain what students are seeing in the video. 


The AirServer window on my laptop - I maximize the
window when projecting to my class.

Benefits

  • Quickly and efficiently AirPlay to your laptop that is connected to a projector. Bypassing the AppleTV eliminates delays in audio and video that can sometimes trouble users during presentations
  • Record presentations to share with students not in your class during that period or to distribute to your students as "How-To" videos and tutorials
  • Students can follow what you do in real-time during class presentations
  • Password-protect AirServer on your laptop so that students (or teachers who like to play practical jokes...) cannot AirPlay to your feed without permission
Drawbacks
  • If you do not have a strong/reliable WiFi network that both your device and laptop are using, it can be difficult to keep them connected (not usually an issue with 1:1 schools)

Sample video for 8th Grade General Music:






I have not received any complimentary material or product from AirServer. I purchased this product myself and am writing this review of my own volition!


1 comment:

  1. Hi Lori,

    Great information!

    Another powerful tool you can use to project an iPad screen to a Mac or Windows computer is Reflector 2. Like with AirServer it runs on a computer and acts as a receiver, or Apple TV, for a device to connect to. What sets Reflector 2 a part from AirSever is that not only can you mirror iOS, but you can also mirror Chromebook and Android devices as well. You can also mirror multiple devices and record multiple devices at once. Incredibly easy device management!

    ReplyDelete